Best Crossfit Gloves (2017 Review)
Crossfit is an intense exercise regimen that involves effective full body workouts that aid in weight loss, body toning and lead to functional fitness.
However, it can be quite demanding on the hands, requiring a large amount of hand gripping and clinging motions that involve dumbbells, pull-up bars and kettlebells.
This versatile range of Crossfit training motion is simply too much for normal weight lifting gloves to handle. In the end, you might just end up with sweaty, smelly hands that can make your workout uncomfortable and even lead to unnecessary injuries that will hamper your further workout for days.
Enter the brilliant invention of specially designed Crossfit gloves which have been technologically developed to meet the demands of this hectic training program.
Why Do You Need Gloves For Crossfit?
Conventional weight lifting gloves are typically unable to handle the amount of strain that Crossfit training puts on the hands, and they're simply not flexible enough either.
Firstly, normal weight lifting gloves were made for the simple task of lifting weights, which when compared to Crossfit training, really doesn’t require a diverse range of motion at all.
Secondly, they're just too bulky and heavy for Crossfit, hence wearing them often leads to sweaty hands and gripping issues.
Crossfit gloves on the other hand were developed to handle double, even triple the amount of beating taken by normal weight lifting gloves. Not only are they designed to protect the hands from sores and rashes associated with concentrated training, but they're also lightweight, allowing the hands a wider range of movement.
Common materials used to construct Crossfit gloves include leather and synthetic materials like silicone and spandex, and they're usually designed to only cover relevant areas like the palms and wrists, while leaving the backs and fingers open. This makes the gloves both breathable and durable.
Needless to say, using Crossfit gloves makes workouts easier and fun. You no longer have to take breaks to wipe your hands in between exercises, your grip becomes stronger and you're more confident knowing that you're really getting the most out of your workout.
Features To Look Out For
You want to get a pair of really good quality Crossfit gloves that'll be able to last you for a long time. Preferably they should be constructed from a combination of leather and spandex materials with reinforced stitching to withstand the dynamic range of motion required during your workout.
Heavy gloves often get in the way of effective workouts as they make hands sweaty and inflexible. Getting a lightweight glove means being able to comfortably perform your workouts while your hands retain their natural functionality and are flexible enough to move according to what's required during the training session.
Crossfit gloves have to be constructed from supple materials that allow your hands to move around without getting uncomfortable. Elastic materials like spandex and neoprene are ideal for achieving flexibility of movement while avoiding injury.
Technologically Innovative Materials
Crossfit gloves are made using technologically advanced materials that are specifically designed to endure punishing workouts while keeping your hands cool and limber. These materials are also durable, breathable and fully supportive to the diverse motion range required for Crossfit training.
Crossfit gloves should feel like a second skin, with palm cushioning to provide protection from blisters and sores. Breathable fabric and cut out backs keep hands cool and are great for those with sweaty palms. The gloves should also fit really well with no room for slipping out, but they shouldn’t be too tight either.
Your gloves should come with extended wrist cuffs that you're able to completely wrap around your wrists to keep them from slipping off. This'll protect your wrists from painful contact during training, and you'll be stronger and more confident in your grip as a result.
When the manufacturer is willing to put their reputation on the line with a long warranty period, that's usually a sign of good quality and durability. So be a smart shopper and look out for gloves with the longest warranty period. A majority of Crossfit gloves come with a one year warranty, although there are a select few who go as far as offering a replacement warranty of a lifetime, which is even better.
How to Clean Your Gloves
Keeping your Crossfit gloves clean is a fairly simple process that involves soaking them up in warm water with soap one side at a time. This will remove sweat and dirt deposits. You should then massage the gloves with your fingers while in the water and then thoroughly rinse before repeating the process for the other side.
Afterwards you can squeeze the water out of them using your hands and then air dry them. Exposure to direct sunlight will compromise the fabric performance and fade the color of your gloves, so be sure to dry them in a shaded area outside where there's plenty of air.
Top 6 Best Crossfit Gloves
Here's our pick of the best gloves for Crossfit training. These will keep your hands protected, flexible, fully supported and comfortable.
1. WODies 2in1 WOD Grips
WODies 2in1 WOD Grips are premium weight lifting gloves that are quite popular with the Crossfit tribe. They're made from high quality woven elastic, a material that's durable and hypoallergenic. They're a best seller due to their customised wrist and palm support features while their breathability means you'll have sweat free hands throughout your workout.
These fit fairly comfortably on the hands, although it's recommended that you cut the finger parts off for an even better fit. They come with a sizing chart to make sure that you buy the right size glove for your hands, and they're also easy to wash and maintain.
- These gloves come with dedicated wrist support which means that you won't have to use extra wrist wraps.
- Easy to put on and remove.
- They're really durable and will prevent your hands from ripping.
- Made from breathable material, as is their design.
- The material is extremely absorbent and assimilates sweat and chalk to keep your grip firm and professional.
- Wrist wraps are a bit too tight and not as breathable as the palm area.
- Poor customer service, several reviews complained about bad customer support.
- The price is a bit steep.
2. Mava Sports Cross Training Gloves with Wrist Support
Made with a combination of neoprene, leather and silicone materials, these gloves are super comfortable solution to callous or sweat prone hands. The silicone padding protects your palms while keeping the gloves cool. The Velcro straps can be adjusted for a custom fit, and the neoprene prevents sweat for a firm grip.
This is an ideal glove that works for almost any combination of exercises in your WOD. They also come with a sizing chart to ensure that customers purchase the correct size.
- Excellent wrist support through adjustable Velcro straps.
- Breathable fabric to keep your hands cool and sweat free.
- Silicone padding ensures comfortability and a stronger grip.
- They are a comfortable fit.
- They're flexible enough to allow for a wide range of motion.
- The Velcro straps unfortunately tend to tear within a few months of use.
- Palm padding does not provide enough support for heavier lifts.
3. SEEU Women's Wight Lifting Gloves
These gloves are made from a highly breathable mesh Lycra fabric that absorbs sweat while keeping the hands comfortable and protected. They feature a built-in 17.5” wrist strap which wraps around the wrists twice to protect wrists from sudden twists and abrasions.
Although these are listed as women's gloves, they work just as well when protecting men's hands.
The palm area is made with microfibre padding and Anti-Slip Silica-Gel particles for an extra strong grip.
They've also added extra terry cloth on the back of the thumb area designed to wipe sweat without compromising on grip strength. They're also surprisingly lightweight and come in a wide variety of sizes from XS to XL.
With regards to upkeep, normal detergent is not recommended here, and the manufacturer advises to wash these with water and fabric softener.
- Nice design.
- The material is very comfortable and allows for flexibility of movement.
- You can easily wipe your sweat with the back of your thumb which is fitted with terry cloth.
- A size chart is available with lots of sizing options for men and women.
- Very durable and good value for money.
- Palm padding is not overdone and provides perfect grip support.
- There is room for improvement on the finger area as it tends to be a bit short.
- Can be difficult to take off.
4. Fit Four Weightlifting Gloves - The Gripper
These compact sized gloves come with a Callous Guard feature and minimalist design that mainly focuses on protecting the hands from critical impact areas, while leaving the rest of the hands free to do what they do best.
They're made from a combination of breathable and flexible synthetic fibres. Silicone pads promote a firm grip, Lycra and microfibres make them breathable and flexible, while the synthetic leather keeps them lightweight and stylish enough for fashion forward buyers.
These also come with a chart for size accuracy.
They're easy to wash and maintain due to their small size and they're guaranteed to provide you with ample protection and grip power.
- Dedicated Callous Guard feature.
- They're lightweight and breathable.
- They easily absorb sweat but don't hold the water in.
- They fit very comfortably, almost like a second skin.
- Suitable for a broad spectrum of WOD activity.
- These don't come with wrist support.
- They tend to slip a lot when put on already sweaty palms.
5. Emerge Crossfit Training Fitness Grips
Stay callous free with these versatile gloves.
They're made with durable neoprene and come with breathable palm protectors and comfortable wrist wraps to keep the gloves secure.
You'll be able to maintain a strong grip throughout your workouts, thanks to extra long wrist straps and reinforced palm support.
They come in a variety of sizes with a sizing guide that recommends you go a size smaller than your usual for a cozy fit. They're also flexible and are able to support a wide range of Crossfit exercises and lifts with the exception of pull-ups.
- They fit really well and stay secured with snug wrist wraps.
- Customised leather callous guards for worry free power gripping.
- They come with a 100% money-back guarantee.
- Long wrist straps ensure fantastic support and safe movement.
- They're long-wearing and very well made.
- These don't work well for pull-ups as they tend to get slippery.
- They can feel slightly bulky.
6. RIM Sports Gym Gloves
Using functional design and lightweight materials, RIM Sports has created fingerless gloves that support a wide range of movement. They're made to last with durable leather while the spandex makes for great flexibility.
The diagonally shaped Velcro strap makes for flexibility of movement while keeping your wrists protected. And the palm padding is thick enough to protect your palms without getting them sweaty. They also offer a broad range of colors and sizes to choose from, and you'll also enjoy their sleek but edgy design.
- These gloves offer relevant support for a broad spectrum of exercise movements.
- They're durable and made from high quality materials.
- Diagonally shaped wrist straps protect your wrists without limiting movement.
- Enjoy a wide range of colours to choose from.
- They fit really well and make for a powerful grip with no slippage.
- They do tend to be an awkward fit for larger hands, with finger holes being too small.
- The mesh palm part tends to fall apart after a few months, so quality control has some room for improvement.
Choosing Crossfit gloves can feel like throwing darts in the dark as there's an increasingly large number of options to choose from. But there are a few that truly stand out, and none more so than the WODies 2in1 WOD Grips.